Our skin has to put up with a lot of stresses during our daily lives. Sweat, dirt, make up and pollutants to name but a few. It provides protection between our bodies and the outside world and works hard to keep us in good health. Perhaps the most important part of the skin is the outer most layer, the epidermis. Without this skin barrier, harmful components can enter the body and cause serious harm.
This is why it's crucial to ensure our skin is in tip top condition by keeping it clean and well cared for. Properly cleansing skin of dirt and impurities that build up throughout the day is key to an effective skin care routine. Once that step is completed, you can then add skin beneficial ingredients in the form of serums and moisturisers to further strengthen, enhance and protect the skin.
This will help to keep your skin clear, healthy, and radiant. Without cleansing and proper skin care, your skin will be more prone to breakouts, dehydration, and premature aging.
How to cleanse the skin effectively
- Use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser that does not contain alcohol
- Wet your face with lukewarm water and use your fingertips to apply cleanser. You can use a washcloth to gently massage the cleanser onto the skin in a circular motion
- Resist the temptation to scrub your skin - scrubbing can irritate and cause redness
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft, clean towel
- At this point you can apply active serums, a moisturiser and even skin beneficial oils such as Squalane oil
- Be gentle when applying any cream around your eyes so you do not pull too hard on this delicate skin
- Wash your face once in the morning and once at night, as well as after sweating heavily. Perspiration, especially when wearing a hat or a mask can irritate the skin
- After cleansing, you can add serums and moisturisers with skin beneficial active ingredients such as vitamin C and peptides and of course retinol at night
- Always use a broad spectrum 50+ sunscreen every day to protect your skin from UV damage. Don't forget to reapply every two hours if you're outside